Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sweet Little Cade is Recovering

Today has been an emotionally and physically exhausting day, but I wanted to put a quick update on Cade's procedure.  Cade ended up being one of the "older" patients today (hard to believe when he isn't even two) and didn't have to arrive at the surgical center until 8:45.  We knew it would be a long morning for us.  Since Cade has been sick so much his wake up times have really regressed, and this morning was no exception - up at 4:50 am.  We let him lay in his crib and read books and play until about 6 and knew it would be a long morning to keep him entertained prior to arriving at the surgical center with no food or drink.  We got through the morning with me pushing him through the neighborhood so Colt could eat breakfast.  When we got back, I took Colt to school and let Kevin take Cade to the surgical center. 

Kevin kept me posted on things and I arrived at the surgical center right as they had taken Cade back for his procedure.  He did ok in the pre-op area, he just had a lot of anxiety so they gave him the medication that relaxed him and gave him amnesia.  It was so wonderful to have Kevin with me this time, as I was so emotional about it all.  You would think I would be stronger given this is the fifth time I have been through this with the two boys, but not so much! 

Our ENT, Dr. Duncan, is truly a man made to be a pediatric ENT - his love and care for his patients is truly unmatchable.  And, every time I have had hesitations, I am always so thankful for him and his recommendations and this time was no exception.  Dr. Duncan was very light with Kevin and told him we would qualify for the elite program with the number of times we have done this and I told him with two more coming we would keep him in business a long time - not that he needs our business as one of the most in-demand pediatric ENTs in Houston, but he got what I meant.

Dr. Duncan came out to see us after the surgery and said Cade did very well, but was so thankful we had done the procedure.  His adenoids were incredibly enlarged and inflamed and his sinuses were a mess.  They had to clean them all out and the bacteria was so bad, Dr. Duncan had to culture some of it and send it away to make sure it isn't a hard to treat strain of bacteria.  In addition, one of Cade's ears was infected and the other one was filled with thick fluid.  Both ears now have new tubes.  Cade is now on oral antibiotic and steroids to get his sinuses healthy again along with ear drops and steroid nose spray to keep his sinuses clear.  So, all and all, a very necessary procedure.

I told Kevin to go to work and I stayed in the post-op area with Cade to recover.  It was amazing that the same nurse who had cared for Cade at 7 months when he had his tubes was his nurse again this time.  She was an angel nurse, so loving and kind and I remembered her well because she has two boys almost exactly Colt's and Cade's ages. She took such amazing care of Cade again this time and was so sweet with me as all the nurses were literally gawking at the size of my baby bump and were stunned we were about to have numbers 3 and 4.  And, his nurse actually told me she just found out she is expecting number 3...amazing how God puts people in your life just when you need them the most to encourage you in difficult moments.  She definitely was that person for me today!

We finally arrived home at noon and from noon to 4 was not fun.  Cade had a hard time shaking off the anesthesia and was screaming and crying and would not let me put him down for four straight hours.  Finally, he seemed to pop-out of it just in time for "Colty" and "Daddy" to arrive home and he lit right up.  (I wonder if Kevin thinks I was making up how grumpy Cade was all afternoon! ;) )  Anyway, Colt had gone to his friend Ollie's house after school for a playdate, which was an amazing gift to me, allowing me to spend the time with Cade that he needed to recover.  And, it was awesome having daddy home with the boys this evening. 

So, all and all a successful day where many prayers were answered and we are hopeful Cademan is now on the track to feeling better and staying healthy!

Thank you for all your prayers and support!