Today we reached the 6 month mark and are heading into the home-stretch of the second trimester. Baby V is now about the length of an ear of corn and weighs about a pound and 1/2, although he is a pretty lean at this point. He will start plumping up the next few weeks. His brain is growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.
Baby V continues to LOVE to move around. His favorite time now is right when Kevin gets home from work, which unfortunately is several hours after I have gone to sleep. Kevin always wants to say hello to him when he gets home, which wakes the baby up and he starts doing acrobatics! It is amazing that we can wake him up just by nudging my tummy and talking to him. The funny thing is Kevin can easily go to sleep and I end up being up for a while reading until the baby settles back down.
The other new pregnancy "ailment" from this week is I have been experiencing some fairly bad pain right in my pelvic bone. UGH! I called the doctor and she said to use a support belt called a prenatal cradle to take the pressure off the pelvic bone. Let me just tell you, what a fashion statement! HA! I have one on the way in the mail and can't wait for it to arrive! I have heard it works wonders - I sure hope so!
Our ultrasound is tomorrow morning. I hope we get some pictures. If we do, I will post them. I am so excited to see how big the baby is now and of course if that placenta is moving. I believe in miracles! I will be happy even if it moves some because then I will have hope that it is on the move. Only time will tell.... Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers!