Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Great News at 22 Weeks!

After another ultrasound at the high-risk doctor today, we received some fabulous news!! The babies continue to develop beautifully and are still measuring big.  The boy (baby A) is 1 lb 1 oz and the girl (baby b) is 1 lb.  Our sweet boy's kidney issue seems to be resolving with the fluid levels decreasing and just about normal already!  We are unbelievably grateful for this news!  My cervix is still measuring long and the doctor is optimistic I could make it to 37 or 38 weeks!  WOW!!  We will see how things progress!  Baby A's placenta is now low lying, but not a previa so hoping it moves up!  It also is on the backside of the uterus, so there is no threat of it attaching to the csection scar.

The other relieving news is I had a bit of a scare last week with dropping iron levels despite being on extra iron supplementation since week 10.  They had run extra tests on me last week to check some other levels and were threatening having to do weekly IV iron supplementation since my levels were dropping.  Today my high risk doctor took a lot of time explaining what all of this meant (which my regular OB nurse failed to do) and I feel so much better about the situation.  I do understand if my levels drop too much, they may need to do the IV because my body cannot absorb a lot of iron through the digestive track and with a csection you lose a large amount of blood and I wouldn't want to put myself at increased risk for transfusion, but we will cross that bridge if and when we get there.  He said my blood volume is so increased from the twins my body just cannot keep up with the iron demands and that the concentration of the levels is diluted do to the extra volume.

Through these three pregnancies I feel I have learned SO MUCH about what it takes for a body to grow a baby(s) and it is an unbelievable miracle!!  Not easy, but so worth it!  The doctor couldn't get any good pictures of the babies because their positions (baby a - breech, baby b - transverse) but Kevin and I were so elated with the good news we didn't care!!  Plus, another ultrasound is only 4 weeks away! :)

I will try to post a belly shot soon.  My stomach is GIANT - seriously, I am measuring well into the third trimester of a single baby, so who knows how huge I could get!!