Friday, February 22, 2013

6 Month Preggo with Twins!

Yes, we have made it to the 6 month mark!  I guess the big news about hitting 24 weeks is that the babies have reached 90% viability - although the thought of having them anytime soon makes me so sick and sad, I don't think about it!  So far, so good, so praying for at least 10 more weeks!  Everyone asks me how it is different being pregnant with twins.  So far, there has been little difference, except I am just getting so large so quickly, and actually just read the babies double in size between now and 28 weeks, which is hard for me to imagine.  These sweet babies are not big movers like my last two, which may be because they are running out of room, or maybe it is because they are nice docile babies who love to sleep.  I've yet to have a baby anywhere close to that, so I am not holding my breath.  (And, really, if they are healthy, I don't care!  I may start thinking something is wrong with them if they are too "easy"!)

Colt continues to take it all in and process it in his own ways.  I honestly and so thankful to have the opportunity to be pregnant with a preschooler.  It is eye-opening to hear some of his inquiries.  Below I note a few so I don't forget, which I seem to forget EVERYTHING these days!
  • "Mommy, when you take a shower do the twins get wet?"
  • "Mommy, when the twins come out will they have clothes on?"
  • "Mommy, Dora has twins.  One boy and one girl, and they are super-babies with super-baby banana baby food!  Will our twins be like this?"
  • He is excited to tell everyone we will have three boys and one girl. (I think this stems from me telling him I have two boys....)
  • He also is told by a lot of well-intentioned people that he "better help mommy out when the twins arrive."  I don't really like him feeling like he needs to take on the responsibility of two babies...that is not the job of a 3 1/2 year old!!  One night he told me, "Mommy, I will be your helper with the twins.  I will help you take care of them because four kids is a lot."  It actually made me sad to hear because I want him to know he is responsible for him and taking care of himself and making good choices for himself.  That is his job!  So, I tried to make that as clear as I could to him.  I also told him if he WANTED to help me, I would LOVE his help and know that the babies would adore him wanting to be a part of their lives and helping them, but I just don't want him to feel like this is something he has responsibility for.
No picture for now, but maybe sometime soon.  They definitely are not my favorite thing to take these days!  I see the regular OB again on Monday so we will see how much ahead of schedule I continue to measure.  Meanwhile, sweet babies, bake, baby, bake!!