One of the reasons I have been so light on posting is that sweet Colt has been going through a bit of a rough patch. His intense personality makes life for himself not so easy at times and I am working feverishly to get strategies for helping him channel his intensity in positive ways and keep him feeling good about himself, which I feel is so critical at this point in development. Below are a list of things we are dealing with lately....thankfully, even though Colt is only three, he is old enough for me to realize that these phases come and go, and that this too shall pass!
- Agressive behavior - This one is one we have been struggling with for quite some time! He goes through periods where he does GREAT and then through other days that he has a difficult time with it. At least I can have peace in knowing he rarely seems to do these things uninstigated (not that it makes the behavior right) but I am learning that in general it is easier to change the behavior if it isn't impulsive for for no real reason.
- Nightmares - Yes, he woke up screaming from a nightmare! Colt has not woken up in the middle of the night for over a year, so this really shook me up and makes me realize just how much he is processing right now....
- "No eating, just drinking" - My once amazing eater is now telling me this phrase often....I definitely am not having a battle of will with food though, and he is eating enough to maintain his energy level and stay healthy, although is definitely leaning out!
- Binky - As you can see with the picture, Colt is relying on his binky more than ever, even at the park. Sometimes it makes me want to pull my hair out and wonder if he will EVER give it up, but right now he REALLY seems to need it to release some of the intensity and anxiety he is feeling so I just don't feel right about taking it away. He won't go to college with it....well, at least I hope he won't!
- School - We have incorporated a star chart for Colt at school and he seems to be very motivated by it. When he makes good choices at school, he earns a shiny sticker and at the end of the week gets a "treat" from the director. He continues to love school and I ofen feel it is the one thing we don't struggle to get him to do. He "runs" into his classroom everyday, with me right behind him saying "walking feet" - but to see that type of enthusiasm encourages me.
- Potty Training - I feel we are moving closer, but with some of the other things we are dealing with right now, I just don't want to push it. We have had some struggles with him insisting on wearing his pirate underwear, me reminding him he has to tell me he needs to go pee pee in the big boy potty if wearing underwear, and then him forgetting, peeing on his pants, and getting upset about it, me reassuring him it is ok, and wiping up the pee with an anti-bacterial wipe. Ah yes, it is never boring around here! And, did I mention, we are still chasing Cade around during all of this, too! LOL!
- Cade - So, on a VERY positive note, Colt has really taken to Cade lately and tells me he loves him all the time. He plays with Cade often, loves making him laugh, wants to help feed him (which I let him do even though it makes a huge mess), wants to protect him (tells me if he thinks Cade is in danger), kisses Cade, holds his hand, and talks to him all the time. It truly does make me so happy....to see boy 1 embrace boy 2 is such an answer to prayer!!!