Friday, October 10, 2014

Big Boy Catch Up!

I just have to take a minute and STOP and catch up on these big boys before I totally forget this phase that is moving at a raging pace of intensity!

CADE - Let's start with you for a change since you have been asserting yourself more than EVER these past couple month.  Boy, you have brought on new challenges for this mama that I could have NEVER seen coming!!  First, the potty training has been an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!!!!  We are still a work in progress and being in preschool has helped, but my stars have I dealt with enough pee and poo accidents to last me a lifetime and then some!  (I can't even venture the thought of potty training two more!)  You do well in your underwear most of the time, but still have accidents, some of which are totally intentional, like when I am taking you and the babies to school and you poop in your underwear in the car so you get attention.  These are moments I take deep breaths and ask for strength.  You love to say "stupid" and hang with the big boys.  You are rough and destructive in your play...it is just the way you are made, boy!  It is a test of my patience and I so worry about you hurting yourself!  You love to jump off EVERYTHING and run run run away, giving me heart failure!  You sprint off in stores with the kids carts and I can't keep up with two toddlers in another cart.  You run off so far and fast when we are in the neighborhood that I have had other mothers stop and talk to you and give me glaring evil eyes as I try desperately to keep up with you.  I cannot - you are TOO FAST!!!!  I pray for your safety daily!  And many people have suggested I use a leash with you....obviously they do not know you!  On the flip side, you have the sweetest demeanor and are just about one of the cutest kids I have EVER seen, so it is hard to get angry!  You tell me you love me all the time and that you want "cuddles", ADORE Colt, love the babies, but feel conflicted about the attention they get and you can't stand it when they mess up your stuff.  You ask a bazillion questions, like "why" "what's this say" and you love to listen to music in the car and jam out, although would not admit it.  You have become opinionated on everything from your clothes, to what you eat, to your friends, and your activities.  Wow, boy, you have me on my toes!

Some of your favorite activities include your self-made bubble baths (can't even begin to tell you how much soap we go through!)

 And you love, love, love school!  Thank goodness because if I didn't get these hours of reprieve from your energy level, I am not sure I could make it!  Your teachers say you are AWESOME, a great sharer, super friendly, engaged, and fun-loving!  Guess you hold your toughness for your mama!  You also love your weekly swim lesson, but no pictures of that!


COLT - Gosh, boy, you are SO BIG!!!  Kindergarten has been AMAZING for you, PRAISE GOD!!  I was so worried as it is stringent and intense.  Even my mom who has taught kindergarten for years is amazed with the expectations, but we try to keep pace and you seem happy, and that is what matters!  You have nightly homework where we have to do all kinds of crazy things like draw a plant, label the parts, and write sentences about how each part of the plant is useful.  Yes, this is the first month of kindergarten, folks!  You have been mastering your sight words and really do enjoy it!  Your handwriting and inventive spelling have come SO FAR!!  I am amazed how much you have learned in just 6 or 7 weeks.  It is truly astounding.  You are exhausted at the end of the day, as your school day is from 7:35am to 3pm and then we have about 45 minutes of homework each night.  You are  playing soccer, which is great for you.  You need the team building and the physical activity.  You thrive on both these things!  The practices are two times a week and your super star daddy comes home to take you at 5:30, drops you with me at 6:30, and then usually goes back to work for several more hours.  It has been a great bonding time for the two of you, and despite the traffic, daddy LOVES the break and getting to be with you.  Here are some funny pictures of you at a game!


My one worry for you right now, is your anxiety!  I can SO empathize with your temperament and in ways it makes me sad to see because I know life will be harder for you in a lot of ways!  You are SO intense and feel things deeply, from anger, to joy, to happiness, to sadness.  You worry a lot and your insecurities come out as anger.  Right now you worry about not keeping up in school (which you don't need to worry about), me not being around (like asking me every day at school drop off what time I am going to be there to pick you up), and needing to know the routine and agenda for each day.  You don't like surprises...you appreciate predictability and consistency.  Deep down you have a heart of GOLD - truly you do!!  I see it daily, although your bold and brash personality may sway others to sometimes not see you this way. You absolutely have my heart boy and our bond is so so special and I can only hope and pray it stays that way.  Right now you tell me you won't go to college because you don't want to not live with me.  I asked you if I could record you saying that!! Colt-boy, just ADORE you and know your siblings are absolutely blessed to have you as their big bro!

So a snip-it on the big boys!!  It is a busy and rocking time of life, but when I have a minute to reflect, I am truly in awe at the blessings we have been given.  Much love, my big boys!