So, last Thursday, if both babies were measuring 20 weeks, than I look 40 weeks pregnant...or full-term! HA! Well, I am getting larger by the day and the babies are certainly growing well, from what I can tell. They also are starting to move quite a bit, although I am so busy and on my feet moving around all day, that I rarely feel them until I get in bed at night.
Colt has expressed more and more interest in the babies on his own. (Cade of course is totally clueless and is way more into the latest truck to push or slide to go down.) It has been fascinating for me to hear how Colt's little mind is processing it all, as he was only Cade's age when I was pregnant last time and really had no idea what was going on. I have been very careful not to "push" the excitement of the babies on him, but rather just let him take it in and know he is so very loved. Some amazing and truly astonishing things have been coming out of him the last few weeks and I want to make sure I capture them. They come out in unexpected times and places and hearing him become more excited about these babies is an amazing joy to me!! I hope he feels the same when they are really here!
- One of the first times Colt asked me was in the car on the way to school. He said, "Mommy, I want a sister. And, I said, "You never know what God may bless you with. Having a sister would be an amazing gift." And, then he said, "Well, mommy, I don't want a brother!! I love Cade. I don't want to give him back." A light bulb went off in my head that realized he actually thought if he had another brother he had to turn Cade back in!! Gosh, I would have never thought of that!! In astonishment, I told him, "Colty, oh no!! You NEVER have to give Cade back!! He is your brother forever and ever!!" And, he said, "You mean I get TWO brothers, mommy?!" And, I said, "Yes, two!" And he said, "God is going to give me two brothers and one sister?" And, I told him he is one of the luckiest guys around as not many kids are blessed with two brothers and one sister.
- Another time he was in the shopping cart headed out of HEB with Cade in tow, too. He randomly said, "Mommy, I know what I want to name my baby sister." And, I said, "What Colt?!" - fully expecting him to say, "Dora" or "Minnie" - and he said, "Julianna, mommy. That is what her name should be." I just froze as I think this is a beautiful name and I know no one that has this name and either does he. But, just to clarify, I asked, "Do you know a Julianna?" And he said, "No, mommy. That is going to be the name of my baby sister!" Astonishing!! And, we haven't convinced Kevin on this, but amazing how Colt had thought this through.
- I was taking Colt out of the car after a long day and he said, "Mommy, I know where the twins are." And, I said, "Where?" And, he said, "In your belly." "That's right Colt!" "And, there is one sister and one brother for me and Cade. You are going to have three boys and one girl. God gives us great gifts!"
- Later he asked, "Mommy, I want to see the twins." (That is what he now refers to them as. And, I said, "Well, you can't see them." He tried to lift up my shirt. I explained that you can't see them through my belly, only with a very special picture taken at the doctor. I told him I would show him the pictures before he went to bed. Several hours had past and after he brushed his teeth he told me, "Mommy, I need to see the twins! Show me the pictures." So, I showed him the ultrasound pictures and he was truly amazed. He told me, "You go to the hospital to get these pictures mommy. The doctor takes them."
- He will ask me when he gets up in the morning, "Mommy, how are the twins?" And pat my belly. (He also asks me every morning how my sleep was....)
- This morning when I dropped him at school he told me he wanted to give the twins a kiss. I told him, sure. Then he told me, "No, mommy, when they come out of you I want to kiss them." (I tear up writing this!)
- And, then he is telling me frequently, "Mommy, I am so excited to meet our twins." I keep reminding him it is a LONG way off (God willing) especially in his little life.
So, here are some of the long over due ultrasound photos of these precious little miracles. I am really trying not to stress about all the "what-ifs" of a twin pregnancy and stay optimistic until told to worry otherwise (instructions given to my by Kevin! ;) )
Here are the first photos I received of the babies at 6 weeks. It was so strange that I had this "hunch" I was having twins from the moment I knew I was pregnant, but just wouldn't let myself believe it was true. When the ultrasound technician was doing her scan and taking longer than I thought, I knew something was up. I said, "It is just one, right?" And she sternly told me to, "Hold on, she wasn't finished." Then wondering if something looked wrong she said, you have two, twins. I started shaking and tearing up right away. She actually asked me if I was ok. Honestly, it was a lot to process in the moment...one I will not soon forget!! I met with the doctor and after he told me all looked "perfect" for a mere six weeks, he also explained the risks of a "vanishing" twin, but that usually if this happened "one would be ok." I was terrified to tell Kevin, just having no idea how he would respond. I didn't call him and was planning on telling him the next time I saw him in person. Well, he of course called me as I was leaving and said, "So, how was it? Only one baby, right?"...kind of like he had a hunch, too, although I had not shared that I felt like it was twins. After I told him it was two babies, he was ELATED!! Honestly, I almost dropped the phone in shock with how happy he was with the news. It certainly was a source of comfort to hear, but still a lot to process knowing how young my two "older" boys are...one had barely had his first birthday at the time!! YIKES! So...six weeks...so tiny, but strong heartbeats! And, you can clearly see the two sacs...definitely twins!
Then as soon as I was told everything was good for 6 weeks, I started spotting! It was a long several days that it lasted, but I was told what I was experiencing was "normal" for this point in the pregnancy, but also told it could mean one was vanishing...a LONG two weeks to check on the babies!! So, eight weeks...spotting had stopped and babies still looked good!! A roller coaster ride already!
So, as I left at 8 weeks, feeling relieved all was ok with a less than 3% chance of either baby miscarrying and we were able to start processing it all a bit more. And, then, MORE SPOTTING at 9 weeks! At this point I had done a ton research on early twin pregnancies and knew spotting was very normal early on as it is enough for a body to adjust to being pregnant with one baby, let alone two! Yes, week 9 was a long one, but I kept trying to be positive and remind myself the odds were in our favor and with God's grace we would get through it! I also knew the whole pregnancy would likely be a lot of this up and down, so I knew I had better get used to it! 8-9 weeks...amazing how the babies were growing! And with all the spotting, I got to see the sweet ones a lot. I love these pictures because you can see both the babies in one shot...not able to do that anymore with how big they are now! I also love seeing the arms and legs budding...miraculous really, as the babies are just the size of a kidney bean at this point!
After nine weeks, things started settling down, and I really felt GREAT through the entire first trimester and up until now. And, even now, I feel well, but getting large very quickly, but I guess that is a good thing considering the average twin pregnancy only makes it to 35 weeks. Of course, I hope we beat average, but only time will tell!
Final pics, taken at a special free clinic they do at Women's Hospital just for multiple pregnancies in the first trimester. They also provide a free consult with a dietitian and ultrasound pictures.
Baby A - before we knew he was a BOY!
And, baby B - our precious little girl who hopefully is training to be a fighter with all these brothers!! One amazing thing is that as a child I ALWAYS wanted a big brother, so being able to give her the gift of three brothers is so special for me!
Much love,
Daddy, Mommy, Colty, and Cademan







