Sweet Colt, I wish I had more time to write down every little thing about you as I marvel at you more and more every day!! You had such a special birthday this year and with all the changes you have taken on in the past month, we really wanted to make sure YOU felt very special!!
You had been looking forward to your birthday for MONTHS and had very specific ideas in mind in ways you wanted to celebrate. Yes, I had arranged for your party to be at the Little Gym, but no, you had different plans. You wanted WonderWild, so WonderWild it was. And, you wanted it Superhero, so superhero it was! You wanted everyone to wear a cape and your cape was to be a birthday cape with a cake on it! Phew, your imaginative side is so much fun, but certainly can be a lot for this not so crafty or creative mommy to keep up with!! (I am much better with lists and logistics..maybe one day you will learn! ;)) Anyway, I started preparing before the babies arrived as I knew things would just keep getting busier and busier! (And, that couldn't be true!) Without going into too much detail into how it all came to happen, I just want to show some of the end result.
Unfortunately, on your party day daddy had been called into work the ENTIRE weekend (leaving me to juggle the four little ones 3 weeks out from a csection) AND I woke up with shooting pain in my left breast and had mastitis yet AGAIN!! Wow, challenges we had, but you had no idea and were in HEAVEN! We pulled it together for your party...daddy rushed home, we got your cake on the way (which you had hand-picked months before at HEB), and rushed over for the celebrations. I held it together through the party and thankfully go antibiotics that night, as by that time was in pretty bad shape. So, a few highlights! Sorry not more pictures...like I said we were just holding it together!
So when we arrived, you wanted a picture with your cape! When the helpers at WonderWild opened your cake they realized Gotham City was falling apart! They were having a heart attack about it, but you were happy with it (in fact in LOVE with that cake) so I just said, no big deal! The guy working there thought I was nuts...I guess most moms would have gone ballistic about this. I just told him - look, in our situation right now, everything is all a matter of perspective...that birthday boy is happy and his mom and dad are both at the party, so it is GREAT! He looked at me like I was a bit crazy...he just didn't know the whole story! ;)
A few close ups of the cake!
Daddy and Colt with their capes!
The four of us! The twins obviously didn't join us, but it was so special to be there together! We just love and cherish our Colty so much!
You had SO many friends to celebrate! Gosh, it was well over 50 people there..I never counted, but we almost had NO cake left!!! Crazy!! So it must have not tasted too bad despite it looked like an earthquake had hit the town! ;)
When everyone sang to you, I just had such a hard time holding it together. I just thought back to that most precious day when you were born...a moment that changed my life like no other moment to date has!! You came out of that womb just SCREAMING and little did I know the gift and challenge God was placing before me in that moment! You were and are such a spirited little guy and now that I have had three other newborns since you, I can see you were special for the moment you were put in my arms that very first time. (Look, I even wore a superman shirt!)
You insisted on sitting by your brother despite all your friends there, which warmed me like no other!! You can be a bit rough with him at times, but you hold him so near and dear to your heart, Colty, just like you do all you love. You have a true sense of loyalty and compassion for those you consider part of your inner circle.
As you can see, you had LOTS of friends there to celebrate. You are blessed, very blessed, with such wonderful friends whom you just ADORE.
Unfortunately I got so few action shots because you were literally RUNNING like a wild maniac through the party play area the entire time and I was busy chatting with many of the moms and dads who I hadn't seen as I have been shut in nursing these precious babies the last three weeks. I am sorry I didn't get more of you running around...but here are two!
Some of you and your friends in the cheese mat!
You, Daddy, Cade, and Theresa on the bouncing pillow!
On your "actual" birthday right you went to summer camp! That day you wore your birthday crown proudly and had ice cream sandwiches at camp to celebrate with your friends. After school we had a sweet family party where you opened your family gifts, we decorated cupcakes, and daddy came home for dinner and night-night time, which is a special gift! Colt, despite how challenging you are sometimes, I am so honored to be given the chance to be your mommy! My constant prayer is that I have the patience and strength to be the kind of mom you need, to make sure you channel your energies in the right ways, and to be sensitive to your fragile spirit, which takes a lot of creative discipline techniques, but I certainly try! I love you so very much and celebrating your fourth year of life is such a blessing!!! xoxo - Mommy