Monday, September 6, 2010

Ear Tubes!

Last week was a BLUR of a week (as I mentioned before!). On Friday Colt has his adenoids removed and ear tubes put in. We were scheduled for an appointment with the ENT on September 14, but after some BRUTAL nights of being up all night with a screaming boy, I called the ENT last Tuesday morning in desperation. They happened to have a cancellation that day, so after Colt's first day of school, he got to go to his appt at the ENT!

When we arrived at the ENT, it was a MOB scene! The waiting room was packed with kids and I soon realized how truly blessed I was to be there just for an ear evaluation. There was one couple there with such a sick infant with an alarm that kept going off when he stopped breathing. I was silently thanking God for blessing us with such a healthy boy! It truly is all a matter of perspective!

Anyway, after waiting about an hour and watching Colt push the toy vacuum cleaner and lawn mower all over the waiting room, we got to see Dr. Duncan. He had a wonderful demeanor with Colt and clearly and concisely explained to me that Colt was a perfect candidate for ear tubes. His ears were filled with fluid and even though we give him the antibiotics to clear the infections, the fluid was never draining out. In addition, he recommended having the adenoids removed because there is little to no pain with the procedure, and this is where the infections start. It made sense to me, but having your sweet child put under general anesthesia and operated on is very scary!

Usually the wait time to have surgery with Dr. Duncan is several months, but we were so blessed that someone had canceled for that Friday. When the nurse came in to give me the information about the surgery, she said, "God had His hand in this. Dr. Duncan told me he wanted him fit in as quickly as possible, but we almost never can get a child in this quickly!" I agreed with her and just profusely thanked her because I didn't know how much longer I could let Colt suffer from such extreme sleep deprivation and discomfort!

So, Friday morning, Colt and I were off for his surgery. We had to be at the surgical center at 6:00 a.m. Colt got up at 5 a.m, and I knew we couldn't let him near the kitchen or he would start begging for his milk. Kevin and I kept him in our room and tried to keep him occupied. He was fairly happy. When we got to the center, they took us right up to the pre-op area. His nurses and anesthesiologist were so kind and they had lots of toys for Colt to play with. The doctor came and saw us and then that time came, where the nurse had to sweep Colt out of my arms and carry him to the operating room. He started screaming and looked at me like, "Mommy, what are you letting them to do me?!" I just told him I loved him and tried to stay strong!

The surgery lasted about thirty minutes, and then the doctor came to get me. I went to see Colt, preparing myself for the worst, but he really was OK. They had a rocking chair for me to sit in, and I just held him, rocked him, and rubbed his back. He relaxed right away, but his poor eyes were SO PUFFY! After about 20 minutes, he wanted some diluted juice to drink. This is a real treat because I usually don't let him have juice! He sucked down three cups full! He was SO thirsty! Thankfully, he really had no bad reaction to the anesthesia. And, after a fairly quiet day at home, is back to himself. His first night after the surgery he didn't sleep well (which I guess that could be expected) but last night he slept through the night! We aren't counting our chickens before they hatch, but we are SO HOPEFUL this will help him sleep!
This is Colt the morning of the surgery. What a tired boy!
Here he is a couple hours after we got home. Can you believe he just had surgery? Looks like a happy camper to me! One of our SUPER sweet friends had left Colt a package on our doorstep the night before the surgery with a balloon (which he LOVES) and a Praise Baby DVD for him to watch when he was recovering. Here he is in his "executive chair" (as Kevin calls it) watching the show! He LOVES the music!