Monday, August 31, 2009

All Smiles!

Our boy is now smiling, smiling, smiling! It is the most wonderful thing for his parents to see! He smiles at us when he wakes up, when he is eating, when he is playing with his favorite toys, and when we smile at him. It is amazing how seeing your baby smile can make your entire day! It is like any worry I have is wiped away when I see how happy he is! Here are some pics of Colt smiling at mommy after waking up from a nap (hence the sleepy eyes!). Kevin and I had fun with this onsie - it says "Totally Cuter Than Daddy" - of course mom doesn't think so, but it still is a funny onsie! :)We also took Colt to a store this weekend with a baby scale. He now weighs 10 pounds 8 ounces (with a onsie on) - so probably 10 pounds 7 ounces. This is a whole pound heavier than he was when he went to the pediatrician three weeks ago. He looks so big and is definitely filling out his clothes better now.

He just loves, loves, loves to play and play and play. He is "talking" and cooing so much more these days. He loves to bat at the butterfly and study his "Whose-It" on the activity mat.

And he is working really hard on holding that head up and scooting with his legs. Man are his legs STRONG! Here he is going after his friend Mr. Moose!
He also really loves his aquarium mobile. When he is quietly alert I swaddle him up and put him under his mobile. He will lay there for thirty minutes and track his fish friends with his eyes while listening to the classical music. He has figured out how to get his legs out of the swaddle and will kick along with the tunes. He talks and talks and talks to his fish friends. Sometimes I will be in the other room doing chores, etc. and I just love to listen to him.
And, of course Colt continues to love his parrot. We now have to strap him in the infant seat (when he was really little we didn't). He can actually kick himself right out of the seat now! Kevin asked me if he could hurt himself with as hard as he kicks and bats at the parrot! :) He is an extremely active baby! I know I better enjoy this time with him not being mobile because I have a feeling when he does start crawling, I will NEVER sit down because keeping up with Colt will become a full-time job!
Colt still isn't sleeping through the night, but he goes 4-6 hours at a time. Technically, anything over 5 hours is "sleeping through the night" - but to me sleeping through the night will be a 7-8 hour stretch. The great news is that he gets up to eat and then goes right back to sleep. So, it isn't so bad. I've gotten kind of interested in all the middle of the night shows - some really bizarre things come on at 2 in the morning!


The only recent challenge has been that Colt gets extremely fussy in the evening between 5 and 6. He has cried up to 90 minutes straight - which makes me feel horrible! At first, I would just be beside myself because I knew he wasn't hungry, wet, etc. and I wanted so much to comfort him! I realize he is just tired and needs to get the crankiness/tension out, but it is so hard to hear my sweet baby cry. Now, I really try to emotionally detach myself and put on the Christian music station and try to listen to the music instead of Colt screaming. I do put him in the Maya Wrap - I just can't handle letting him "cry it out" by himself in the crib. At least with him in the Maya Wrap he knows I am right there with him and I pray he out grows this SOON. I have heard it peaks around 8 weeks past the due date (which will be this Thursday). So, hopefully the end of this phase is coming!


This weekend Colt is taking his first plane ride up to meet his great grandparents in Nebraska. Mom is quite nervous, but as my dad reminded me, I tend to worry about things way too much. We just hope and pray all goes well and our sweet boy tolerates all the stimulation of travel OK. I especially pray that he stays healthy and brings a lot of joy to all the family he gets to see! We'll let you know how it goes!